Hop on over to my blog to check out some crazy cool photos and stories about how to best maximize your use of an entire two-bedroom apartment...all by yourself!
Cheesecake-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes w/Coffee Cinnamon FrostingYield: 15 cupcakesCupcake recipe adapted from AllrecipesSelf-filled cupcake ingredients:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, pour hot water over cocoa and whisk until smooth. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, then add to wet ingredients alternately with cooled cocoa liquid. Mix until all ingredients are all just incorporated and smooth; your mixture will be relatively thin, and this is perfect!
- To make cheesecake mix: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy and smooth. Add egg, vanilla, and cinnamon; mix until well-incorporated. Set aside.
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin and fill each liner about 1/3 of the way with batter. Carefully pour a small teaspoonful of cheesecake batter in (recipe below). Pour additional cupcake batter on top until the liner is 2/3 full; the easiest way to make sure your cheesecake batter doesn't leak is if you pour the cupcake batter over it in one smooth sweep. (A slow pour will give the cheesecake time to ooze outwards.) Bake in preheated oven for 14-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Coffee Frosting:
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon instant ground coffee, crushed into fine powder (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon coffee, and cinnamon. Mix together, then add additional coffee as necessary to thin out your frosting and reach desired consistency. (Adding the crushed instant ground coffee adds additional coffee flavor without thinning out your frosting too much. Add more to taste if you like!)
Note: If you want to add a nice chocolate drizzle to your cupcakes, simply melt 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon butter on the stovetop on medium-low heat. Make sure you watch your chocolate carefully and stir frequently to keep it from burning!