You are viewing cooking

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Brittle vs. buttercrunch

Candymakers, I have a question.

I am planning to make a candy with tropical nuts (Brazil, cashew, macadamia), and I am wondering what recipe to use to create something similar to a brittle or buttercrunch. However, in my search I have also encountered buttercrunch recipes, and it's set me to wondering: Is there actually a difference between a brittle, and a buttercrunch?

Brittle, by definition, is a hard sugar candy, usually with nuts, stretched thin. Buttercrunch is not really defined in a specific way from what I have found, and the recipe components are usually similar to those of a brittle - sugar, some water, , corn syrup, butter, a little baking soda, some vanilla - with the exception that buttercrunch often seems to include a layer of chocolate coating. Some buttercrunch recipes seem to include more butter, which perhaps influences the name; but some brittle recipes call for more butter than others, so it doesn't seem to be the deciding factor.

So, lacking a hard-and-fast difference by definition, is it safe to say that buttercrunch and brittle are more or less the same thing?


( 4 comments — Leave a comment )
Nov. 5th, 2012 03:53 pm (UTC)
I think they are more or less the same things- its all about presentation, ... where you put the nuts.:)

In my experience, buttercrunch (buttercrunch toffee) is usually stretched/rolled pretty thin, thinner than brittle, like 1/8 inch or thinner. I also feel like buttercrunch might be cooked just a little longer than brittle- a little more caramelization of the sugars, but those are pretty trivial differences.

Edited at 2012-11-05 03:53 pm (UTC)
Nov. 5th, 2012 09:28 pm (UTC)
To my (completely unprofessional) knowledge buttercrunch isstuff (popcorn, nuts, etc) coated in sugar candy with enough extra to hold clumps of it together, where brittle has much more candy syrup than that, and is poured out in one big flat sheet which is then broken up. Same basic idea, slightly different presentations.
Nov. 6th, 2012 01:10 am (UTC)
What you're calling buttercruch is actually called toffee. It's like brittle, but it's a hit softer due to the baking soda and typically has a chocolate coating over the top. Very similar, but not the same.
Nov. 6th, 2012 02:12 am (UTC)
Sounds the same to me. I say six of one, half a dozen of the other. :-)
( 4 comments — Leave a comment )


Latest Month

December 2014
Powered by
Designed by Tiffany Chow