Cereal substitution US to UK
I was browsing Buzzfeed when I came up on this recipe for something called Salted Chocolate Puppy Chow. I live in the UK, and Puppy Chow isn't something I've come across before, at least, not with that name.
I'd like to make this for a friend, and I'd have no problem finding the salted pretzels, brownie mix or peanut butter but the recipe requires Rice Chex, an American cereal.
This isn't available in my local supermarket, and as much as I like my friend, I'm certainly not going to pay the ridiculous prices that some speciality stores charge for imported American breakfast cereal. I don't think I've seen that particular brand being sold here, anyway.
Does anybody know if there's a breakfast cereal in the UK that could be substituted for Rice Chex? Or if not, could you describe what Rice Chex is so I can try and find a match myself?
Thanks to anyone that can help!
Recipe for the Puppy Chow below, if interested.
7 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips/melts
1/3 cup peanut butter, smooth
1 3/4 tsp coarse salt, more if desired
3 cups pretzels
1 1/2 cups of brownie mix
1. Melt chocolate and peanut butter together in a bowl.
2. Mix cereal with melted mixture and ensure you cover evenly.
3. Sprinkle salt over the chocolate cereal.
4. Put brownie mix in a large plastic bag and add the cereal. Shake to coat the cereal with the mix.
5. Spread the cereal out onto a baking sheet to let it cool.
6. Add pretzels.