This is traditional Ukrainian treat, often made with different fillings - nuts, preserves, raisins. But we will start with the plain ones
The recipe is for 10 large pampushki:
1. Mix 1/2 cup of warm milk(30 C) and 1/2 warm water, add 2 tsp dry yeast, 4 tsb sugar, 4 tsp flour. Leave in a warm spot for 20 minutes
2. Once the yeast mixture raises and gets bubbly pour it into a large bowl, add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup sunflower oil and 2 cups flour. Knead well. The dough will be quite sticky but don't get tempted to add extra flour.
3. Cover and leave in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
4. Dip hands in the oil and devide the dough into pieces 100 gr each. Or make them smaller if you wish. Roll the pieces into round shape. As the dough is quite sticky don't fight for the perfect shape.
5. In a large pot heat up sunflower oil plus we add some Crisco. Deep fry your pampushki on both sides till golden.
6. Once cooked on both sides - fish them out using the slotted spoon and let them drain in a colander layered with paper towels.
7. Sprinkle with icing sugar or icing sugar mixed with cinnamon. Enjoy!
Compliments of Marina Gavrylyuk
Real Estate Agent with Sutton Group Summit Realty
Other Great Recipes:
"Super-Power" Cranberry Drink
"Syrnychki" - Cottage Cheese Pancakes
"Syrna Zapikanka" - Ukrainian Cheese Casserole
"Syrnyk" Ukrainian Style Cheesecake
"Little Porcupines" Pastries - Їжачки (Yizhachky)
Camping Special - Cooking at Pinery
"Rushnychok" Ukrainian Poppy Seed Roll
Chocolate Truffle Cake
"Parrot Tail" Cake
Happy Mushroom Salad
Chicken A La Bacon
Traditional Easter Bread - Paska
Honey-Garlic Roasted Cauliflower
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Ukrainian Style Stir-Fry
Chocolate and Walnut Pastry "Alissa"
Busy Mommy's Caramel Tartlets
Spinach and Potato Casserole
Swimmer's Choice Pasta Salad
Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread
Glazed Shortbread Cookies
3D Guitar Cake
Honey Oatmeal Cookies
Avocado and Smoked Salmon Terrine
Waldorf Chicken Salad
Booblik + Bonus Challah Bread
Halloween "Pumpkin" Salad
Apple Cranberry Pie
Raspberry Truffle Cake
Amazing Potato Bake a la Salina
Traditional Russian Pie
Pierogi with Sour Cherries
Dolma, or Grape Leaf Rolls
"Melting Moments" Cookies
Awesome Spinach Salad
MY SIGNATURE STEAK