Ribeye is a piece from the rib edge of expensive marbled beef, with a cross-cut resembling the shape of an eye. Hence the name is ribeye. Usually the beef from Australia, New Zealand and the United States is the best. Due to the high marbling, there is enough fat in ribeye, so it’s very soft. '
U.S. prime ribeye will suit perfectly for this recipe, but it can be replaced with more affordable local beef ribeye.
Popular ribeye recipes are steak recipes generally. But I want to share something really unique! Kenny Chan Kai-Tak taught me to cook this excellent dish of Sichuan cuisine – sliced prime ribeye poached in chili broth. As a result you’ll get a huge bowl of tender and succulent beef slices swimming in a deep-red spicy broth full of Sichuan chilies and spices.
But be aware while cooking it. Why? Read below.
Kenny says this dish is a soul of Sichuan cuisine. It is the best way to sample the unique spiciness and tongue-numbing heat of my native cuisine while letting the flavor and texture of the key ingredients shines. Now you’ll also know how to cook Sichuan-style ribeye.
But that’s Kenny’s words. And now listen to my story. My spooky story of how I’ve almost lost a few taste receptors. Well, maybe I have lost? Read my story below the recipe.
Poached Sliced U.S. Prime Rib Eye in Chili Broth
Poached in Chili Broth, Sliced U.S. Prime Ribeye Recipe
Recipe type: Meat and Poultry
Cuisine: Sichuan Cuisine
- 225g U.S. prime rib eye
- 150g bean Sprout
- 18g leek
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 0,5 tbsp Sichuan Peppercorn Powder
- 0.5 tbsp chopped Garlic
- 2 tbsp bean paste
- 2 tbsp mala sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 0.5 tbsp Chopped spring onion
- 1.5 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hua diao wine
- 895g meat broth
- Mix 1.5 tbsp corn starch with 4 tbsp water
- Sprinkle salt and corn starch on the rib eye slices, then pan-fry the beef to medium well.
- Boil the bean sprouts in hot water and rinse.
- Place at bottom of the serving bowl.
- Heat and fry the seasonings in a Chinese wok.
- Pour in meat broth, hua diao wine and finally the brown gravy.
- Add the beef slices and mix well.
- Pour into the serving bowl when done.
- Add the leek, paprika, Sichuan peppercorn powder and garlic into the mix.
- Pour 300g boiling oil into the serving bowl and it’s ready.